Stasia TatkoApril 14,2008MIDDLE GRANVILLE, N.Y. — Stella "Stasia" Tatko, age 89, of Middle Granville, N.Y., passed away at Rutland Regional Medical Center, of natural causes on April 13, 2008.
Born November 6, 1918, in West Rutland, Vermont, she was the daughter of Steve and Bernice (Grodnic) Sherowski.
She married Remus S. Tatko on July 1, 1939, at St. Stanislaus Church in West Rutland, Vermont, and was a resident of Middle Granville all her married life.
After graduating from West Rutland High School, she attended and graduated from cosmetology school and ran her own beauty shop out of her home for many years. She was vice president of Mineral Hill Slate Co. and co-owner and proprietor of the former Discount Liquor Store on Route 22 in Granville. Stasia was a communicant of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Granville.
Mrs. Tatko was predeceased by her husband, Remus S. Tatko, to whom she was married for 60 years. Survivors include her daughter, Patricia McChesney and her husband James of Pinehurst, North Carolina; her son, Raymond S. Tatko and his wife Sandy of Middle Granville; her daughter, Kathy Tatko, also of Middle Granville; four grandchildren, Michael R. McChesney and his wife Tammy of Savannah, Ga., Lisa Shay and her husband John of Pinehurst, North Carolina, Kimberly Bascom and her husband Todd of Granville, Mark Tatko and his fiancée Ari Wolf of Slingerlands, N.Y.; and five great-grandchildren, Daniel and Molly Shay, Sean and Camden McChesney and Lauren Bascom. She was also predeceased by four brothers, John, Henry, Alex and Peter.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Wednesday, April 16, 2008, at 9 a.m. at St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, 23 Bulkley Ave., Granville, with the Rev. Thomas Zelker presiding. Burial will follow in Our Lady of Mount Carmel Cemetery in Middle Granville. At Mrs. Tatko's request, there will be no calling hours.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests that memorial contributions be made in the form of donations to the Granville Rescue Squad, Box 153, Granville, NY 12832.
Arrangements are under the direction of the Robert M. King Funeral Home, 23 Church St., Granville, N.Y.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?