Drugs, sex force rest stop closureThe Associated Press | December 10,2008SPRINGFIELD - The state has closed two Interstate 91 rest areas amid complaints about drug use and sexual activity.
The rest areas, located on the Springfield-Rockingham town line, were plagued by discarded hypodermic needles and drug paraphernalia and unwanted solicitations for sex, according to Lt. Rick Hopkins of the Vermont State Police.
"It's been a long history of illicit activity up there," Hopkins said Tuesday. "A lot of people were just traveling through the area, and were very legitimately trying to stretch their legs, and were being exposed to that."
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation