Rutland police arrest teen in Mac's robberyAugust 31,2009Vyto Starinskas / Rutland Herald
Brennan Bigelow, 18, of Rutland is led into the Rutland City Police Department Monday morning. He was charged with assault and robbery in the Mac's Market robbery on North Main Street and held at the Rutland prison late Monday afternoon.Rutland City Police say they have arrested and charged a man in connection with one of three robberies that took place late last night and into this morning.
Brennan Bigelow, 18, will appear Tuesday in Rutland District Court for an arraignment on a felony robbery charge, Rutland City Police said this evening. He is being held overnight at the Rutland jail for lack of $150,000 bail.
The charge stems from a robbery this morning at Mac's Market on North Main Street. Police would not say this evening if they believe he played a role in two other robberies that took place late Sunday night and this morning in the Rutland region.
No one was injured in any of the robberies, said Timothy Tuttle of the Rutland City Police Department.
The robbery spree began Sunday night at about 10:40 p.m. when police said a man with a gun held up the Shell Short Stop station in Rutland Town on Route 4 next to Home Depot, according to city and state police.
State Police said the lone robber made off with an "undisclosed" amount of cash. Police said the robber fled the store on foot heading east toward Mendon. Police believe the robber may have been heading to Rutland Town.
Then, this morning at 7:42 a.m., Cumberland Farms on South Main Street was robbed by a man with the same style handgun in the first incident. An undisclosed amount of cash was taken, Tuttle said.
And at 9:08 a.m., Mac's Market on North Main Street in Rutland near the North Street extension was robbed at gunpoint by one man. Cash was also taken and the man fled on foot, according to police. The man got into a vehicle and the car was identified by an employee of the store as it drove away. Police stopped the car and the man, later identified by police as Bigelow, was arrested and the car impounded.
[See photos from the Cumberland Farms robbery at http://www.rutlandherald.com/robbery ]
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.