Fire destroys home in Shrewsbury
Anthony Edwards Photo
The front of Jessica and Peter Guyette's home in Shrewsbury is shown after a house fire Saturday evening.
By Cristina Kumka
An electrical fire claimed the home of a family of four in the woods of Shrewsbury Saturday night.
No one was home at the residence of Peter and Jessica Guyette and their two young girls when the family discovered smoke billowing out of the white-bordered windows at 9:43 p.m.
They called 911 and five area fire departments responded in minutes including Shrewsbury, Mount Holly, Ludlow, Clarendon and East Wallingford.
According to Shrewsbury Fire Chief Russell Carrara, one of the first to respond to the scene, flames had already engulfed the attic when they arrived, making it hard to salvage the interior.
The home was deemed uninhabitable.
Jessica Guyette sat under the awning of a camper parked next to the home Monday morning, writing a list of items lost in the fire.
At the time she was being interviewed by a fire investigator with the state Division of Fire Safety.
"They came home and found the house on fire," Carrara said.
No one was injured, including firefighters.
The fire was caused by faulty electrical wiring somewhere between the dining room and the bedroom, he said.
The American Red Cross was expected to provide assistance to the family.