Donald PickeringSeptember 08,2012Donald Pickering
LOLO, Mont. — Donald “Griz” Pickering, 63, died Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012, at St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula, Mont.
He was born Nov. 30, 1948, in Norwalk, Conn., the son of Harry and April (Cook) Pickering.
Don graduated from Arlington Memorial High School in 1967.
On Dec. 17, 1971, Don married Sue McKenna of Readsboro, Vt. They made their home in Florence, Vt., where they resided for 35 years.
Don worked for Blue Seal Feeds in Brandon for 32 years, retiring in 2008.
It was Don and Sue’s wish to spend as much time with family as possible after their retirement. They resided in Sudbury, Vt. with their oldest daughter Molly and her husband Terry Mitchell, where Don enjoyed each day on Haley’s Acres doing household projects and caring for the property.
He enjoyed time in the Northeast Kingdom reading, relaxing and watching the wildlife and in the Spring of 2011, Don and Sue took their dream vacation to Alaska. In May of this year, Don and Sue moved to Lolo, Mont., to spend time with their youngest daughter Apryle and her husband Justin Clook.
Don will always be remembered for his sense of humor and kind nature. His passion was seeing his girls grow up playing sports, showing horses and later listening to his son-in-law’s hunting adventures. He will be greatly missed by many friends and family.
Don was a lifetime member of the Pittsford Volunteer Fire Department. He belonged to the Proctor Pittsford Fish and Game Club for many years.
Don was preceded in death by his parents and two brothers. He is survived by his wife, Sue; daughter, Molly Mitchell and husband Terry; daughter Apryle Pickering and husband Justin Clook; four brothers, Dennis Pickering of Virginia; Pat, Fred, and Harry Pickering of Arlington, Vt.; one sister, Sandra Wright of Arlington, Vt.; and many very special nieces, nephews, and cousins.
A private memorial service will follow in Vermont at the family’s convenience.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Pittsford Fire Dept., PO Box 559, Pittsford, VT 05763; or the Rutland County Humane Society 765 Stevens Road, Pittsford, VT 05763.
Condolences may be left for the family at www.missoulafuneralhomes.com.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1900, a crew arrives at a Scottish isle lighthouse to find the previous crew has vanished; in 1944, George S. Patton relieves Bastogne; in 1890, 'Uncle Charlie' Osborne born; in 1891, Henry Miller born in New York.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Capt. James Cook discovers and names Christmas Island, Brits develop and test H-bombs there in 1957-58; 100 years ago today, Christmas truce takes hold on Western Front in France, combatants observe the holiday.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Gen. Wm. T. Sherman concludes March to the Sea, secures Savannah, Ga., offers the city as Christmas gift to Pres. Lincoln; N.Y.'s Lincoln Tunnel opens in 1937; first gorilla born in captivity, Colo, celebrates 58th birthday today.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brent Curtis reports on the probe into a city bar fight involving police officers; Vt. Yankee has its last media day event before final shutdown next week; Depot Park hosts annual vigil to raise awareness of plight of homeless.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Gas Systems puts Phase 2 on hold as the latest estimate for Phase 1 takes a 27 percent leap upward, to a total of $157 million; U.S. Attorney Tristram Coffin quits for job with private firm; police cite man in pot bust.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Christmas bombing of North Vietnam ordered by President Richard Nixon, most lethal strikes of the war; in 1989, U.S. invades Panama to depose, arrest and charge Gen. Manuel Noriega with drug trafficking, racketeering.