Donald PickeringSeptember 08,2012Donald Pickering
LOLO, Mont. — Donald “Griz” Pickering, 63, died Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012, at St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula, Mont.
He was born Nov. 30, 1948, in Norwalk, Conn., the son of Harry and April (Cook) Pickering.
Don graduated from Arlington Memorial High School in 1967.
On Dec. 17, 1971, Don married Sue McKenna of Readsboro, Vt. They made their home in Florence, Vt., where they resided for 35 years.
Don worked for Blue Seal Feeds in Brandon for 32 years, retiring in 2008.
It was Don and Sue’s wish to spend as much time with family as possible after their retirement. They resided in Sudbury, Vt. with their oldest daughter Molly and her husband Terry Mitchell, where Don enjoyed each day on Haley’s Acres doing household projects and caring for the property.
He enjoyed time in the Northeast Kingdom reading, relaxing and watching the wildlife and in the Spring of 2011, Don and Sue took their dream vacation to Alaska. In May of this year, Don and Sue moved to Lolo, Mont., to spend time with their youngest daughter Apryle and her husband Justin Clook.
Don will always be remembered for his sense of humor and kind nature. His passion was seeing his girls grow up playing sports, showing horses and later listening to his son-in-law’s hunting adventures. He will be greatly missed by many friends and family.
Don was a lifetime member of the Pittsford Volunteer Fire Department. He belonged to the Proctor Pittsford Fish and Game Club for many years.
Don was preceded in death by his parents and two brothers. He is survived by his wife, Sue; daughter, Molly Mitchell and husband Terry; daughter Apryle Pickering and husband Justin Clook; four brothers, Dennis Pickering of Virginia; Pat, Fred, and Harry Pickering of Arlington, Vt.; one sister, Sandra Wright of Arlington, Vt.; and many very special nieces, nephews, and cousins.
A private memorial service will follow in Vermont at the family’s convenience.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Pittsford Fire Dept., PO Box 559, Pittsford, VT 05763; or the Rutland County Humane Society 765 Stevens Road, Pittsford, VT 05763.
Condolences may be left for the family at www.missoulafuneralhomes.com.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.