Donald PickeringSeptember 08,2012Donald Pickering
LOLO, Mont. — Donald “Griz” Pickering, 63, died Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012, at St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula, Mont.
He was born Nov. 30, 1948, in Norwalk, Conn., the son of Harry and April (Cook) Pickering.
Don graduated from Arlington Memorial High School in 1967.
On Dec. 17, 1971, Don married Sue McKenna of Readsboro, Vt. They made their home in Florence, Vt., where they resided for 35 years.
Don worked for Blue Seal Feeds in Brandon for 32 years, retiring in 2008.
It was Don and Sue’s wish to spend as much time with family as possible after their retirement. They resided in Sudbury, Vt. with their oldest daughter Molly and her husband Terry Mitchell, where Don enjoyed each day on Haley’s Acres doing household projects and caring for the property.
He enjoyed time in the Northeast Kingdom reading, relaxing and watching the wildlife and in the Spring of 2011, Don and Sue took their dream vacation to Alaska. In May of this year, Don and Sue moved to Lolo, Mont., to spend time with their youngest daughter Apryle and her husband Justin Clook.
Don will always be remembered for his sense of humor and kind nature. His passion was seeing his girls grow up playing sports, showing horses and later listening to his son-in-law’s hunting adventures. He will be greatly missed by many friends and family.
Don was a lifetime member of the Pittsford Volunteer Fire Department. He belonged to the Proctor Pittsford Fish and Game Club for many years.
Don was preceded in death by his parents and two brothers. He is survived by his wife, Sue; daughter, Molly Mitchell and husband Terry; daughter Apryle Pickering and husband Justin Clook; four brothers, Dennis Pickering of Virginia; Pat, Fred, and Harry Pickering of Arlington, Vt.; one sister, Sandra Wright of Arlington, Vt.; and many very special nieces, nephews, and cousins.
A private memorial service will follow in Vermont at the family’s convenience.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Pittsford Fire Dept., PO Box 559, Pittsford, VT 05763; or the Rutland County Humane Society 765 Stevens Road, Pittsford, VT 05763.
Condolences may be left for the family at www.missoulafuneralhomes.com.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.