Donald PickeringSeptember 08,2012Donald Pickering
LOLO, Mont. — Donald “Griz” Pickering, 63, died Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012, at St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula, Mont.
He was born Nov. 30, 1948, in Norwalk, Conn., the son of Harry and April (Cook) Pickering.
Don graduated from Arlington Memorial High School in 1967.
On Dec. 17, 1971, Don married Sue McKenna of Readsboro, Vt. They made their home in Florence, Vt., where they resided for 35 years.
Don worked for Blue Seal Feeds in Brandon for 32 years, retiring in 2008.
It was Don and Sue’s wish to spend as much time with family as possible after their retirement. They resided in Sudbury, Vt. with their oldest daughter Molly and her husband Terry Mitchell, where Don enjoyed each day on Haley’s Acres doing household projects and caring for the property.
He enjoyed time in the Northeast Kingdom reading, relaxing and watching the wildlife and in the Spring of 2011, Don and Sue took their dream vacation to Alaska. In May of this year, Don and Sue moved to Lolo, Mont., to spend time with their youngest daughter Apryle and her husband Justin Clook.
Don will always be remembered for his sense of humor and kind nature. His passion was seeing his girls grow up playing sports, showing horses and later listening to his son-in-law’s hunting adventures. He will be greatly missed by many friends and family.
Don was a lifetime member of the Pittsford Volunteer Fire Department. He belonged to the Proctor Pittsford Fish and Game Club for many years.
Don was preceded in death by his parents and two brothers. He is survived by his wife, Sue; daughter, Molly Mitchell and husband Terry; daughter Apryle Pickering and husband Justin Clook; four brothers, Dennis Pickering of Virginia; Pat, Fred, and Harry Pickering of Arlington, Vt.; one sister, Sandra Wright of Arlington, Vt.; and many very special nieces, nephews, and cousins.
A private memorial service will follow in Vermont at the family’s convenience.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Pittsford Fire Dept., PO Box 559, Pittsford, VT 05763; or the Rutland County Humane Society 765 Stevens Road, Pittsford, VT 05763.
Condolences may be left for the family at www.missoulafuneralhomes.com.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Patrick McArdle reports and the theft of an $89,000 shotgun, police release a video of the Monday Castleton robbery, O'Gorman reports a lawsuit by a local man claiming his vehicle unlawfully seized, police leave him in cold.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Giles Corey of Salem, Mass., is pressed to death during the Salem witch trials; on this day in 1952, film comedian Charlie Chaplin, while traveling to England, is denied re-entry into the United States by U.S. attorney general.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Dutch father of microbiology Antonie van Leeuwenhoek discovers the existence of one-celled organisms; in 1967, The Doors are booked to play the Ed Sullivan show; in 1858, freedom fighter Dred Scott dies on this day in St. Louis.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No money this year for western rail project, Lola Aiken memorialized in Montpelier, Supreme Court Castleton murder suspect will remain in jail, Shaftbury man fires shots from his AK-47 into neighbor's home.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1959, Soviet Premier Nikita S. Khrushchev arrives in U.S. for historic 13-day visit; in 1987, Secretary of State George Shultz and Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze sign nuclear reduction agreement.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City celebrates completion of its newest mural, on West Street opposite the post office, more than $2 million in federal grants will bolster Vermont's health centers, Patrick McArdle reports on pending sale of Vermont papers.