Donald PickeringSeptember 08,2012Donald Pickering
LOLO, Mont. — Donald “Griz” Pickering, 63, died Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012, at St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula, Mont.
He was born Nov. 30, 1948, in Norwalk, Conn., the son of Harry and April (Cook) Pickering.
Don graduated from Arlington Memorial High School in 1967.
On Dec. 17, 1971, Don married Sue McKenna of Readsboro, Vt. They made their home in Florence, Vt., where they resided for 35 years.
Don worked for Blue Seal Feeds in Brandon for 32 years, retiring in 2008.
It was Don and Sue’s wish to spend as much time with family as possible after their retirement. They resided in Sudbury, Vt. with their oldest daughter Molly and her husband Terry Mitchell, where Don enjoyed each day on Haley’s Acres doing household projects and caring for the property.
He enjoyed time in the Northeast Kingdom reading, relaxing and watching the wildlife and in the Spring of 2011, Don and Sue took their dream vacation to Alaska. In May of this year, Don and Sue moved to Lolo, Mont., to spend time with their youngest daughter Apryle and her husband Justin Clook.
Don will always be remembered for his sense of humor and kind nature. His passion was seeing his girls grow up playing sports, showing horses and later listening to his son-in-law’s hunting adventures. He will be greatly missed by many friends and family.
Don was a lifetime member of the Pittsford Volunteer Fire Department. He belonged to the Proctor Pittsford Fish and Game Club for many years.
Don was preceded in death by his parents and two brothers. He is survived by his wife, Sue; daughter, Molly Mitchell and husband Terry; daughter Apryle Pickering and husband Justin Clook; four brothers, Dennis Pickering of Virginia; Pat, Fred, and Harry Pickering of Arlington, Vt.; one sister, Sandra Wright of Arlington, Vt.; and many very special nieces, nephews, and cousins.
A private memorial service will follow in Vermont at the family’s convenience.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Pittsford Fire Dept., PO Box 559, Pittsford, VT 05763; or the Rutland County Humane Society 765 Stevens Road, Pittsford, VT 05763.
Condolences may be left for the family at www.missoulafuneralhomes.com.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- talk-pix.com PODCASTS TEMPORARILY DISABLED: Navigate browser to talk-pix.com to access complete ALMANACK archive.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown