High school senior dead, updated 9:35 a.m.By Cristina Kumka
Staff Writer | September 27,2012
A local high school student is dead this morning, the victim of a speeding car in Rutland on Wednesday evening.
Rutland High School senior Carly Ferro, an accomplished varsity golfer, was walking out of the Discount Food and Liquidation Center on Cleveland Avenue in Rutland, where she has worked for months, at about 6 p.m. when she was struck and killed by a Toyota Camry that raced through the parking lot at high speed and struck several parked cars injuring four others.
Although Rutland City Police have not yet released Ferro's identity, the teenager's death was confirmed by Rutland Public Schools Superintendent Mary Moran this morning.
Among those injured was Ferro's father, Ron Ferro, who was also involved in the crash when the Camry hit the car he was in.
He was sitting in the store's parking lot in a red car. He remains in the hospital with whiplash and in a lot of pain, said Lori Turner, a waitress and cook at Over Easy's Restaurant in Cuttingsville for the last 18 years.
Ferro owned the restaurant.
Crying, Turner said she knew Carly since she was a young girl, and that "she had everything going for her."
"She was a good girl. She worked so hard," Turner said in tears.
Carly was in orchestra for 10 years, played basketball and was a member of Key Club.
Students at the school were provided counseling and each of Carly's teachers had a counselor in their classroom this morning. Students were wearing white today in her honor.
A schoolwide announcement was expected to be made on Carly's death this morning, Moran said.MORE IN News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.