Community holds vigil for Carly FerroSeptember 27,2012Albert J. Marro / Staff Photo
A candlelight vigil in memory of Carly Ferro was held Thursday evening on the front lawn of Rutland High School where Ferro was a student.A hundred or more students, teachers and administrators gathered in front of Rutland High School tonight to honor one of their own, Carly Ferro.
Ferro was killed Wednesday night as she walked out of work at the Discount Food Store & Liquidation Center on Cleveland Avenue and toward her father Ron Ferro in his car, as he waited parked in the parking lot for his daughter to finish.
Police say 23-year-old Alex Spanos of Rutland drove a white Camry into Ron Ferro's car that then struck Carly.
On Thursday night, a school community mourned as a group with candles, poems and song for Carly, a avid golfer, violinist and athlete. She was 17.MORE IN This Just InSki area operators in Vermont and across northern New England were giddy Wednesday at the... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.