Ryder Cup rookie Bradley a very cool customerBy NANCY ARMOUR
The Associated Press | September 28,2012MEDINAH, Ill. — The ball was still rattling around the bottom of the cup and Keegan Bradley stuck his hand out, a big grin on his face. Phil Mickelson reached into his pocket and pulled out a wad of bills. Bradley grabbed the cash and held it up to the laughing crowd.
Bring on the Ryder Cup. The kid is money, especially when stakes are high.
“He sees things clearer,” Mickelson said. “He is able to control his emotions and focus more intensely when it matters most.”
The Americans are counting on it.
There will be no room for growing pains for Bradley and the other three U.S. rookies — Jason Dufner, Webb Simpson and Brandt Snedeker. The Americans have just one victory in the last five Ryder Cups, and they will be looking for a fast start when the opening foursomes matches begin this morning.MORE IN Wire Sports
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.