Regional broadband group inks deal with Vt.September 30,2012SOUTH ROYALTON — A regional group working to bring broadband Internet access to parts of east central Vermont has reached an agreement to use a fiber optic system to reach five Orange County towns.
The East Central Vermont Fiber Network says that when the system is completed the Orange County Fiber Connector will provide fiber-optic service to customers in parts of Chelsea, Vershire, Thetford, Strafford and Sharon.
The Vermont Telecommunications Authority is leasing strands from the connector to enable the regional network to reach its “last mile” customers along the fiber route and on side roads off its path.
The authority provides discounts to groups committed to delivering fiber-optic service directly to residential and business customers, and ECFiber is taking advantage of this opportunity.
Construction is set to begin Oct. 1.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Julius Caesar dedicates a temple to his mythical ancestor, Venus Genetrix; on this day in 1933, FBI agents in Memphis, Tennessee, arrest Machine Gun Kelly; Yves Rossi flies the English Channel with home-made jet-pack.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1852, Henri Giffard demonstrates the first steam-powered airship, sailing 17 miles from Paris to Trappes; on this day in 1877, Japanese imperial troops crush the Satsuma Rebellion, Saigo Takamori dies in Kagoshima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: U.S. Rep. Peter Welch meets with Killington business owners, governor candidates debate, Gov. Shumlin discusses progress in anti-opiate campaign, Spanos trial venue moves to White River Junction.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1776, as Nathan Hale is hanged by British military authorities for spying, he utters his famous last words — or does he? In 1975, Sara Jane Moore attempts to kill President Gerald R. Ford in San Francisco.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Patrick McArdle reports and the theft of an $89,000 shotgun, police release a video of the Monday Castleton robbery, O'Gorman reports a lawsuit by a local man claiming his vehicle unlawfully seized, police leave him in cold.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Giles Corey of Salem, Mass., is pressed to death during the Salem witch trials; on this day in 1952, film comedian Charlie Chaplin, while traveling to England, is denied re-entry into the United States by U.S. attorney general.