Regional broadband group inks deal with Vt.September 30,2012SOUTH ROYALTON — A regional group working to bring broadband Internet access to parts of east central Vermont has reached an agreement to use a fiber optic system to reach five Orange County towns.
The East Central Vermont Fiber Network says that when the system is completed the Orange County Fiber Connector will provide fiber-optic service to customers in parts of Chelsea, Vershire, Thetford, Strafford and Sharon.
The Vermont Telecommunications Authority is leasing strands from the connector to enable the regional network to reach its “last mile” customers along the fiber route and on side roads off its path.
The authority provides discounts to groups committed to delivering fiber-optic service directly to residential and business customers, and ECFiber is taking advantage of this opportunity.
Construction is set to begin Oct. 1.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Highway Trust Fund bill passage Vt. projects are moving forward, about 20 state inmates are seeking clemency through new federal standards and search is on to find temporary member for State Colleges Board of Trustees.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.