I would like to address the comments of the Salt Ash Owners Association in Plymouth.
In reference to the gravel pit near Hawk development, this gravel pit has been in existence since 1970 or ’71, long before Hawk Mountain was created. As for truck traffic and noise concerns, trucks are going to travel Route 100, with or without access to the gravel pit. Trucks will have to travel much further, which makes more expense and environmental impact.
The association states they pay 30 percent of the taxes to the town of Plymouth, but the rest of the town pays 70 percent, and this would affect all taxpayers. For the flood of 1973, which did as much damage to town roads as Irene, I was road commissioner at that time and for over 20 years. A lot of gravel came out of this pit to rebuild roads which helped to keep the cost down to the town for the repairs. Also noteworthy is that most of the gravel for Hawk Mountain roads came from this pit.
In reference to wildlife and wetland, as well as water pollution and soil erosion, this can be addressed as it has been in other areas. The building of houses on the hillside in Hawk Development had more impact on wildlife and erosion than the gravel pit has had or would have.
As to the financial benefit being only for one person, that is incorrect. Every taxpayer in the town of Plymouth would benefit from the gravel pit being open, as it would be less cost to the town to get their gravel.
I was a selectman for the town of Plymouth for over 30 years.
DONALD K. MARTIN
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1520, Ferdinand Magellan is first European to navigate passage that bears his name from the Atlantic to the Pacific sea; in 1582, Will Shakespeare, Anne Hathaway secure their marriage license with 40 pound bond.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.