New indoor soccer facility under way in BenningtonOctober 04,2012BENNINGTON — A new indoor facility for soccer and other sports is expected to open next month.
It will be called the Bennington Sports Center.
Former Major League Soccer player Bo Vuckovic said the center will provide a place for local leagues, as well as a training facility and camp space for local youths. There could also be opportunities for people interested in other sports to use the turf. Vuckovic bought the building, formerly the Catamount Elementary School, last year.
The Bennington Banner reports Vuckovic, who is also the owner and general manager of the Vermont Voltage minor league team, said new soccer leagues could begin as early as Nov. 1. He said the former gymnasium will have a grass-like turf surface laid down next week.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.