Sam V.K. WillsonOctober 05,2012
Sam V.K. WillsonSam V.K. Willson
SAG HARBOR, N.Y. — Sam Van Kuren Willson, 84, of Sag Harbor and New York City, died Oct. 2, 2012, following a brief illness.
He was born Feb. 11, 1928, in Rutland, Vt.
He attended Phillips Exeter Academy and graduated with honors from Harvard College, Class of 1950, and went on to serve his country during the Korean conflict.
He taught English at Phillips Academy Andover, after which he pursued a career in New York City in advertising and overseas personnel management for the Interpublic Group. He pursued a second career as organist and choirmaster at the Bridgehampton Presbyterian Church in Bridgehampton, N.Y., and also composed music and frequently conducted the Choral Society of the Hamptons.
In retirement, he wrote and published short stories and poetry.
Survivors include his partner of 42 years, Gerald Rosenfeld; two nephews, Jon and David; a niece, Carrie; and eight grandnephews and grandnieces.
A memorial service will be held Monday, Oct. 8, at noon at Christ Episcopal Church in Sag Harbor.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.