Smirk is defined as a smile expressing scorn, smugness, etc., rather then pleasure. This smugness or extreme self-satisfaction with oneself is what Mitt Romney showed the American voters watching the presidential debate on Wednesday night.
So why did he have that ridiculous expression on his face all night during the debate? Is he better than the president? Does he live in a much higher social class here in America then ordinary folks? Does he detest entire groups of Americans?
Well, he certainly thinks he’s better then President Obama, that’s clear enough. During the debate it became very clear that Mitt Romney is a person who enjoyed smirking at the president while he spoke. His nasty and overly critical comments about the president’s economic policies and his lack of honesty about his own plans, make it clear he is not presidential.
He’s what we referred to as a “smart aleck” in high school. These people always have a facetious and annoying comment for teachers and other people. They are not interested in a honest and sincere debate on the issues.
What really surprised me was how Mr. Romney came right out and demonstrated to the American voting public what kind of a person he really is. But why should this surprise anyone after the comments he made leading up to the debate? He’s a rich guy who really sees himself as miles above ordinary Americans. So why would we want him as president?
ShaftsburyMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.