Motorcycle rider injured in crashOctober 07,2012Motorcycle rider
injured in crash
MIDDLETOWN SPRINGS ó A motorcycle rider was injured after crashing into the back of a car, police said.
Jeffrey Greene, 34, of Middle Granville, N.Y., was riding a 1992 Harley-Davidson motorcycle east on West Street behind a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire driven by Fernando Parker, 52, of Middletown Springs, at about 4:10 p.m. Friday, according to Vermont State Police.
Parker stopped to make a left turn into a driveway, police said, and Greene was unable to stop his motorcycle before it hit the carís rear bumper.
The motorcycle tipped over on its right side and slid into a ditch on the westbound shoulder of West Street, about 12 to 15 feet from the crash, police said.
Greene fell off the motorcycle and slid 8 to 10 feet on the road, police said. He was taken to the Rutland Regional Medical Center, where he was treated for cuts and bruises.
Parker, who was wearing a seat belt, was unhurt.
State police were assisted by the Middletown Springs Fire Department and the Poultney Rescue Squad.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.