Loan fund boosts
5 Vt. businesses
MONTPELIER — Five businesses and organizations have been loaned a total of nearly $502,000 by the Vermont Community Loan Fund.
The nonprofit lender says the loans reflect its mission to provide loans, grants and assistance for small business, child care, affordable housing and other community projects.
Vermont Public Radio reports the businesses include:
Addison County Community Trust in Middlebury, which is buying transitional emergency family housing.
Highfields Center for Composting in Hardwick, which was loaned money to buy equipment.
W. Masonry in Westford, which is financing its payroll until the completion of a contract for work on a new pharmacy.
Mud City Kids Child Care Center in Morrisville, which is expanding.
Turtles ’N’ Tots Daycare in Johnson, which is buying equipment and expanding.MORE IN National / World BusinessNEW YORK — A slump in energy prices pushed the stock market back from record levels on Tuesday. Full StoryDES MOINES, Iowa — The egg is on a roll. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.