I am writing this letter in strong support of Steve Carr who is running to represent the towns of Sudbury, Pittsford and Brandon in the Vermont Legislature. Steve brings business experience and passion into this election and will represent our communities with integrity and compassion.
I have met Butch Shaw, whom I respect and like very much, but he and Peg Flory (our current senator) bring a negative vote to all causes that do not fit into the usual Republican mantra. I believe in the free market but the marketplace is not always the place that will solve our problems, especially those associated with the health care system. In fact, the marketplace in the absence of reasonable regulations has caused most of our deficiencies in the economy and health care.
I have not met Seth Hopkins but I have viewed the video that he acted in which was supported largely by out-of-state groups and was targeting against health care reform in Vermont. I know Joe Acinapura and respect him very much and wish him good luck in his retirement from the Legislature but he also did not see the light in terms of health care reform.
Steve Carr will support health care reform and in a way that will support those not fortunate to pay full premiums and those who have pre-existing conditions, as well as those who are woefully underinsured. Anybody who has experienced a health crisis without insurance or inadequate insurance knows that vital reform is needed. For those who have never experienced a health crisis (hundreds of thousands of dollars worth), just try to think about what that would mean to you without that insurance coverage.
The marketplace cares about money, not your health. Steve will bring a reasonable balance to our representation. I support him and I hope that you will, too!
SudburyMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.