I am writing this letter in strong support of Steve Carr who is running to represent the towns of Sudbury, Pittsford and Brandon in the Vermont Legislature. Steve brings business experience and passion into this election and will represent our communities with integrity and compassion.
I have met Butch Shaw, whom I respect and like very much, but he and Peg Flory (our current senator) bring a negative vote to all causes that do not fit into the usual Republican mantra. I believe in the free market but the marketplace is not always the place that will solve our problems, especially those associated with the health care system. In fact, the marketplace in the absence of reasonable regulations has caused most of our deficiencies in the economy and health care.
I have not met Seth Hopkins but I have viewed the video that he acted in which was supported largely by out-of-state groups and was targeting against health care reform in Vermont. I know Joe Acinapura and respect him very much and wish him good luck in his retirement from the Legislature but he also did not see the light in terms of health care reform.
Steve Carr will support health care reform and in a way that will support those not fortunate to pay full premiums and those who have pre-existing conditions, as well as those who are woefully underinsured. Anybody who has experienced a health crisis without insurance or inadequate insurance knows that vital reform is needed. For those who have never experienced a health crisis (hundreds of thousands of dollars worth), just try to think about what that would mean to you without that insurance coverage.
The marketplace cares about money, not your health. Steve will bring a reasonable balance to our representation. I support him and I hope that you will, too!
SudburyMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- talk-pix.com PODCASTS TEMPORARILY DISABLED: Navigate browser to talk-pix.com to access complete ALMANACK archive.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown