Charles R. HurstOctober 09,2012
Charles R. HurstCharles R. Hurst
NORTH CLARENDON — Charles Richard Hurst, age 73, died Sunday, October 7, 2012, at Rutland Health & Rehabilitation Center.
Mr. Hurst was born in Arlington, Va., on February 14, 1939. He was the son of Henry and Lena (Sweeney) Hurst. He was graduated from George Washington High School in Alexandria, Va. He began his working career as a movie theater manager. He later worked in retail sales in the Washington, D.C., area. He was forced to retire in 1978 due to his failing eyesight. He had been a resident North Clarendon in 1983, moving here from Alexandria, Va. He was a communicant at Christ the King Catholic Church. He belonged to the Knights of Columbus. He had also worked as a volunteer at the Rutland hospital for several years. He enjoyed old movies and listening to the morning news.
Surviving is his wife, Janet Ann (Paquin) Hurst of North Clarendon, whom he married in Newport, Vt., on August 25, 1962; his daughter, Heather Hurst of North Clarendon; a sister, Margaret “Margie” Hubbard of Alexandria, Va.; sisters-in-law, Rita Palmer and Grace Aines, both of Brandon; a nephew, Shawn Genier, a niece, Vicki Genier, and grandnephew, Kameryn Genier, all of Leicester. Many other nieces, nephews and cousins also survive him. He was predeceased by five brothers, Louis, Henry, Joseph, William and Stanford Hurst, and two sisters, Peggy Stone and Helen Croyle.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Thursday, October 11, 2012, at 10:30 a.m. at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Brandon. The Rev. Ruel Tumangday, pastor, will be the celebrant. Following the Mass, the family will receive friends at the home of Grace Aines and Rita Palmer for a time of fellowship and remembrance. A private burial will take place at a later date.
Friends may call at the Miller & Ketcham Funeral Home in Brandon on Wednesday, October 10, from 3-5 p.m.
Memorial gifts, in lieu of flowers, may be made in his memory to The Vermont Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired, 60 Kimball Ave., South Burlington, VT 05403.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bad crash in Rutland Town sends driver to hospital, natural gas pipeline get support from Addison County Planning Commission.