Texting-while-driving trial opens in VermontThe Associated Press | October 10,2012BURLINGTON — A jury trial for a Vermont woman who’s charged with texting while driving and injuring a pedestrian began Tuesday.
After 19-year-old Emma Vieira’s trial opened, lawyers argued whether the accident was the result of inattention while she was texting or whether it was so dark she couldn’t see the pedestrian.
Deborah Drewniak, 52, was struck in August 2011 as she walked her dog in the roadway. Drewniak suffered a traumatic brain injury in the collision, and her dog was killed.
Vieira pleaded not guilty to one count of grossly negligent operation of a motor vehicle resulting in serious injury. If convicted, she faces up to 15 years in prison.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Vermont kept its No. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.