Two charged in deer poachingOctober 10,2012Two charged in deer poaching
ROYALTON — Two men were charged for deer poaching in Royalton recently.
Mikel Brady of Randolph and Joshua Hill of Bethel, both 23, shot at a decoy deer on Oct. 5, police said Tuesday. They face charges of taking deer in closed season, taking deer by illegal means and possession of a loaded rifle in a motor vehicle.
According to police, the gun was shot and discarded in the woods before Brady and Hill drove away. Vermont Fish and Wildlife officials tracked down Brady, Hill and a 15-year-old juvenile and searched the truck. No gun was found but Vermont Fish and Wildlife officials said that Brady called his brother to retrieve the firearm. The gun was located nearby along a road a short time later.
Brady and Hill face fines up to $1,000 per charge, 60 days in jail and a three-year suspension of licenses to hunt, fish and trap in Vermont.
To report poaching call 800-752-5378 or visit www.vtfishandwildlife.com.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.