Two charged in deer poachingOctober 10,2012Two charged in deer poaching
ROYALTON — Two men were charged for deer poaching in Royalton recently.
Mikel Brady of Randolph and Joshua Hill of Bethel, both 23, shot at a decoy deer on Oct. 5, police said Tuesday. They face charges of taking deer in closed season, taking deer by illegal means and possession of a loaded rifle in a motor vehicle.
According to police, the gun was shot and discarded in the woods before Brady and Hill drove away. Vermont Fish and Wildlife officials tracked down Brady, Hill and a 15-year-old juvenile and searched the truck. No gun was found but Vermont Fish and Wildlife officials said that Brady called his brother to retrieve the firearm. The gun was located nearby along a road a short time later.
Brady and Hill face fines up to $1,000 per charge, 60 days in jail and a three-year suspension of licenses to hunt, fish and trap in Vermont.
To report poaching call 800-752-5378 or visit www.vtfishandwildlife.com.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.