Pittsford blaze levels tractor dealer's garageBy Brent Curtis
Staff Writer | October 11,2012Vyto Starinskas / Staff Photo
A fire destroys a warehouse at Giddings Equipment and Kubota Tractors in Pittsford early Thursday afternoon, closing Route 7 as fire crews from area towns cannot put out the stubborn blaze. Tractors were pulled out of the building as flames consumed the structure.PITTSFORD - Flames consumed a garage at Giddings' Kubota tractor dealership on Route 7 today.
No one was injured in the fire, which started in a building at the back of the property just south of town.
But the yellow-sided, tin-roofed garage, which housed a number of tractors and snowmobiles was completely destroyed before firefighters from four towns were able to bring the conflagration under control.
Pittsford Assistant Fire Chief Butch Shaw said the cause of the fire was not immediately known.
We'll have more details in Friday's paper and online at www.RutlandHerald.com.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.