Truck damages Latchis marqueeOctober 11,2012BRATTLEBORO — History seems doomed to repeat itself when it comes to the Latchis Theatre marquee.
The historic building’s marquee on Main Street, which displays film titles shown at the theater, suffered damage for the second time in 15 months Tuesday afternoon, both incidents the result of apparently lackadaisical truck drivers, the Keene Sentinel reported.
The first incident occurred last summer, when a truck driver grew impatient with halted Main Street traffic and drove onto the sidewalk, colliding with the marquee in the process.
This time, surveillance footage showed a truck from Blue Mountain Produce of Wilmington hitting the marquee at 3:21 p.m., although it didn’t appear the truck had driven onto the sidewalk, said Gail Nunziata, executive director of Latchis Arts.
“I don’t know why it happens, I wish I did,” she said. “We have to really study it and try to see what might (have) happened.”
How much it will cost to fix the marquee — which was finally repaired in August following the previous incident — remains unclear, although the physical damage is more surface and less structural this time.
“We’re going to send a picture of it to the people that made the sign in Ohio, and see what they say,” she said.
As for who will cover the cost of repairs, Nunziata said it’s being worked out.
The truck driver “knew he was responsible, and acted responsibly,” she said.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bad crash in Rutland Town sends driver to hospital, natural gas pipeline get support from Addison County Planning Commission.