Water main breaks in RutlandOctober 12,2012Albert J. Marro / Staff Photo
Rutland City Department of Public Works employee Joe Johnston uses a hydraulic jack-hammer to break-up a small portion of Center Street in front of Kong Chow Fusion Restaurant. A break in a six-inch, 1881 pipe developed shortly after 1 p.m. Friday.A water main has broken on Center Street this afternoon in downtown Rutland and the street has been closed down as crews work to repair the damage.
Center Street is closed at Wales Street at one end and Merchants Row at the other.
Water is seeping out of the pavement in the center of the street in front of Kong Chow Fusion.
Some businesses on Center Street are without water.
Alan Shelvey, city engineer, said it looked like a water main break, typical with the city's more than 100-year-old water system comprised of 110 miles of water pipes, some iron.
Shelvey said the city is making progress in replacing some of the oldest water lines, like the most recent project on Woodstock Avenue that replaced a circa 1858-water pipe.
The main concern when small breaks happen, according to Shelvey, is basement flooding.MORE IN News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.