Congressman Welch to deliver chamber speechStaff Report | October 15,2012Vyto Starinskas / STAFF FILE PHOTO
A large crowd enters the Rutland Region Chamber of Commerce annual meeting last year at the Holiday Inn.Rep. Peter Welch, D-Vt., will be the keynote speaker at the Rutland Region Chamber of Commerce annual meeting later this month.
The chamber’s annual meeting, sponsored by General Electric, is set for noon on Wednesday, Oct. 24, at the Holiday Inn in Rutland Town.
In addition to Welch’s address, chamber officials will provide a review of the organization’s accomplishments over the past year.
The chamber’s “Business Person of the Year Award” will also be presented.
The cost to attend the annual meeting is $29.95 per person and includes a luncheon.
The public is invited to attend. An RSVP is required by calling the chamber at 773-2747 or emailing email@example.comMORE IN National / World BusinessLOS ANGELES — It’s back, and it’s back on a scale that is well matched to this car-centric city. Full StoryThe stock market closed out its fifth straight week of gains with another record high on Friday. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.