host open houses
MIDDLESEX — Vermont officials are inviting the public to two open houses at the state Archives and Records Administration Building in Middlesex this month to celebrate Vermont Archives Month.
Among records on display will be the 1777 Vermont Constitution, Vermont’s copy of the Bill of Rights, and maps of the 1927 flood and last year’s Tropical Storm Irene.
Tours will also be available for those who want a glimpse of the behind-the-scenes workings of the archives.
The open houses will be held Oct. 16 and Oct. 25 from 5 to 6:30 p.m. and will feature light refreshments.
Secretary of State Jim Condos said the Archives and Records Administration play a vital role in preserving the state’s collective history for future generations.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.