Marie V. MartinOctober 15,2012Marie V. Martin
BENNINGTON — Marie V. Martin, 78, died Saturday, Oct. 13, 2012, at Southwestern Vermont Medical Center, following a long illness.
Born in Bennington March 24, 1934, she was the daughter of Blanche Eyvonne (LaFranchise) and George Joseph Valliere and received her education in local schools.
She married Karl H. Martin Jr. in Bennington May 16, 1953. Mr. Martin died in 2006.
Mrs. Martin was a gourmet cook and also enjoyed gardening and growing flowers.
Survivors include two children, Karl Martin III of Bennington and Laura Kass of Philadelphia, Pa.
At her request, services will be private. Burial will be in Park Lawn Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to Southwestern Vermont Regional Cancer Center, in care of Mahar & Son Funeral Home, 628 Main St., Bennington, VT 05201.
Guest book condolences may be made at www.maharandsonfuneralhome.net.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.