Barbara A. SheldonOctober 16,2012
Barbara A. SheldonBarbara A. Sheldon
SOUTH DORSET — Barbara Ann (Bannerman) Sheldon passed into heaven on October 12, 2012, at the age of 76, while surrounded by her loving family.
She was born on October 1, 1936, in the Bronx, N.Y. She was the daughter of Arthur and Mary (Mahoney) Bannerman. She attended Our Lady of Mercy Elementary School in Fordham, N.Y., and was in the first girls’ graduating class of St. Helena’s High School in the Bronx, N.Y.
Growing up, she spent the summers with her family at Tinmouth Pond where she met her true love, Harry Sheldon, at a dance while he was home on leave from the Navy. They married on February 4, 1956, in New York City at Our Lady of Mercy Church in the Bronx, of which Father Concidine officiated. At that time, she worked for AT&T in New York City.
Barbara and Harry then moved to Vermont in the fall of 1957 and built their home, family and later on business, The Dorset Garden Market, in South Dorset where she lived until she passed into heaven.
She was predeceased by two brothers, Arthur and Richard Bannerman. She is survived by her loving husband of 56 years, Harry Sheldon; daughters, Deborah Niles and Mary Ann Webb and their families; her three sons, Daniel, Christopher and Gregory Sheldon and their families; sisters, Carole Pappas of California and Marie Elena Freeman of New Jersey; and her brother, Patrick Bannerman of New York. She is also survived by her special Aunt Pat; 10 grandchildren, five great-grandchildren; and many loving cousins, nieces and nephews.
At her request, a private service was held.
Memorial gifts in memory of Barbara may be made to the Manchester Rescue Squad, in care of Brewster Funeral Service, PO Box 885, Manchester, VT 05255.
To send the family personal email condolences, please visit www.sheafuneralhomes.com.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.