Man convicted of lewd and lascivious conduct with a childOctober 26,2012SHAFTSBURY — A Lawrence Road man was convicted by a jury of three felony counts of lewd and lascivious conduct with a child on Wednesday and now awaits sentencing on the counts, which carry minimum mandatory penalties of two years each and up to 15 years on each.
Charles “Hank” Madigan, 52, is currently being held in the Rutland jail on $50,000 bail.
Madigan was arraigned in February 2011 after police said they interviewed a girl, in October 2010, who said Madigan had touched her inappropriately at least three times between October 2007 and January 2009.
The girl would have been between 14- and 15-years-old during that time period.
The girl told police the incidents happened in Shaftsbury when she was staying with Madigan, to whom she is not related. According to an affidavit filed by police in the case, the girl said the contact with Madigan stopped after she put a lock on her door.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.