Teen answers to assault chargeNovember 02,2012A Rutland teenager who allegedly hospitalized a man in a beating near the River Street Bridge said he was acting in self defense.
Thurston M. Smyrski, 17, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court this week to a felony charge of aggravated assault. He was released on conditions that included a 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew at his Cramton Avenue home.
City police say Smyrski beat 22-year-old Spencer Carey unconscious during an argument near the Red Moon Bar off Post Street on Aug. 29. Carey, who a witness said was punched repeatedly after he lost consciousness, was treated for seizures at the scene and was taken to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in New Hampshire where he didnít regain consciousness for two days, according to a police affidavit.
If convicted, Smyrski faces up to 15 years in jail.MORE IN This Just InWASHINGTON ó Congress ran full-tilt into election-year gridlock over immigration Thursday and... Full StoryREADSBORO ó A longtime feud between neighbors may have led to an incident last month during which... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.