Devereux ahead in early resultsBy Christian Avard
Staff Writer | November 07,2012The Windsor-Rutland-2 election is not official. But Dennis Devereux of Mount Holly has a clear lead in two out of the three towns that comprise the new House district.
Devereux and Eldred French of Shrewsbury faced off in the newly created district.
Windsor-Rutland-2 comprises the towns of Mount Holly, Ludlow and Shrewsbury. At press time, Devereux defeated French in Ludlow, 619-465, and also in Mount Holly, 458-294. Shrewsbury’s results were not available at press time.
Excluding Shrewsbury, Devereux has 1,077 votes and French has 759 votes, a difference of 318 votes. French is expecting a strong showing in his hometown and Devereux will wait for the final results.
Every 10 years, the Legislature redraws the electoral map according to the state’s census. French represented Shrewsbury, Tinmouth and Wallingford for two terms while Devereux represented Ludlow, Mount Holly and Plymouth.
Ludlow, Mount Holly and Shrewsbury are towns with similar population numbers and are located in the Route 103 corridor.
@rutlandherald.comMORE IN Southern VermontBENNINGTON — A Wilmington man is being held without bail after police said he crashed his car... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- talk-pix.com PODCASTS TEMPORARILY DISABLED: Navigate browser to talk-pix.com to access complete ALMANACK archive.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown