Support for Yankee strong at hearingThe Associated Press | November 08,2012VERNON — Vermont's Public Service Board is hearing some supportive testimony about the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant.
At a hearing Wednesday night in Vernon, where Vermont Yankee is located, supporters of the plant's continued operation outnumbered opponents by about three to one.
Many of those supporters were employees of the plant, while others in the crowd were more mixed in their views of Vermont Yankee.
The Brattleboro Reformer (http://bit.ly/RHYwXR) reports that anti-nuclear activist Gary Sachs of Brattleboro said false statements by executives with plant owner Entergy Corp., had proved the company is not to be trusted.
Supporters called Vermont Yankee safe and an important contributor to the local economy.
The board is considering whether to grant the plant a certificate of public good to continue operating.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.