4 charged in
CONCORD — Two adults and two juveniles from New Hampshire have been charged with gunshot damage to Vermont insulators on a major electric transmission line that runs from Quebec to Massachusetts.
Vermont Electric Power company, which owns the state’s transmission grid, said it cost New England ratepayers about $1 million for replacement power. The company said it cost about $250,000 to replace the shot-out insulators.
A police investigation led to Littleton, N.H., where a search warrant at a residence turned up evidence.
The four were charged with felony unlawful mischief and reckless endangerment.
The adults are 19-year-old Patrick Bummer of Bethlehem, N.H., and 18-year-old Jordan Hamel of Littleton. All are scheduled to be in Caledonia Superior Court on Dec. 13.
The damage was discovered last week.
The case was reviewed by state and federal authorities to determine if it was terrorist-related, but it is being treated as vandalism.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.