Support for Vt. Yankee strong at hearingNovember 10,2012VERNON ó Vermontís Public Service Board is hearing some supportive testimony about the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant.
At a hearing Wednesday night in Vernon, where Vermont Yankee is located, supporters of the plantís continued operation outnumbered opponents by about three to one.
Many of those supporters were employees of the plant, while others in the crowd were more mixed in their views of Vermont Yankee.
The Brattleboro Reformer reported that anti-nuclear activist Gary Sachs of Brattleboro said false statements by executives with plant owner Entergy Corp., had proved the company is not to be trusted.
Supporters called Vermont Yankee safe and an important contributor to the local economy.
The board is considering whether to grant the plant a certificate of public good to continue operating.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?