Robert J. BlanchardNovember 11,2012
Robert J. BlanchardRobert J. Blanchard
PROCTOR — Robert J. “Bob” Blanchard, 71, of Proctor, VT, formerly of Essex Junction, VT, died November 8, 2012, after a long illness.
He was born January 10, 1941, in Lebanon NH, son of Elwin and Viola (Allard) Blanchard.
Bob was a 1959 graduate of Lyndon Institute, Lyndonville, VT. He served in the Army National Guard from 1959 to 1961, and the Air National Guard from 1961 to 1965.
Bob was employed by Verizon Phone Co. from 1960 until his retirement in 1997.
He was the newly elected President of the New England Golf Association and was the current Treasurer of the Vermont Golf Association. He was a past member of the Proctor Pittsford Country Club where he served as Treasurer and was on the Board of Directors. Bob was also a past member of the Cairo Temple Drum and Bugle Corps, as well as the Royal Order of Jesters, and was past Master of the Sutherland Falls Lodge No. 108.
He had also served on the Rutland County Reparative Board, and the Mortimer R. Proctor Trust which supported nonprofit activities in arts, culture, education, and religion in Proctor, Vermont.
Bob was an avid outdoorsman who enjoyed golfing, hunting, fishing, bird watching, and attending his grandson’s sporting events. He was an accomplished skier who competed in alpine racing and ski jumping as a member of the Lyndon ski team. Bob also enjoyed cheering on his beloved New England teams: Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics, Boston Bruins and the New England Patriots.
Bob is survived by his wife, Bonnie (Phelps) Blanchard of Proctor; his son, Kevin Blanchard of Proctor; his daughter Karen Blanchard of Vergennes, and his grandson, Shaun Blanchard of Proctor.
A celebration of life will be held at 1 p.m. on Tuesday, November 13, 2012, at The Union Church in Proctor, VT. A reception will follow in the church hall.
There will be no calling hours.
Arrangements are under the direction of Clifford Funeral Home.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Vermont Golf Association Scholarship Fund or Rutland Area Visiting Nurse Association, c/o Clifford Funeral Home, 2 Washington St. Rutland VT 05701.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- talk-pix.com PODCASTS TEMPORARILY DISABLED: Navigate browser to talk-pix.com to access complete ALMANACK archive.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown