Green Mountain College euthanizes farm ox at center of uproarThe Associated Press | November 11,2012POULTNEY - A Vermont college has euthanized one of its farm oxen that are at the center of an uproar over the college's decision to process the animals into meat.
Green Mountain College in Poultney says the ox, named Lou, was put down Sunday. A recurring injury to his hind leg had been deteriorating.
Lou and another ox named Bill were retired this summer from the college's working farm. The school planned to turn them into beef to be served in the college dining hall.
That decision has drawn fire from animal rights activists who wanted the oxen spared and had found a sanctuary for them.
The college says Bill will stay at the school farm and receive care consistent with appropriate livestock practices.MORE IN This Just InThe man charged in a hit-and-run crash that killed a pedestrian in Killington early Sunday... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation