Vt. group touts Mass. results on assisted deathNovember 11,2012MONTPELIER — A Vermont group that opposes allowing terminally ill patients to request a doctor’s aid in dying says the defeat this week in Massachusetts of a similar proposal was the correct step to take.
Bay State voters on Tuesday defeated a ballot initiative calling for what supporters call death with dignity and opponents call physician-assisted suicide.
Mary Hahn-Beerworth of the Vermont Right-to-Life Committee says the measure being defeated in Massachusetts by a margin of 51 to 49 percent came after weeks of organizing and campaigning by groups representing the disabled, the Massachusetts Medical Society, hospice and others.
The Vermont Senate defeated a similar measure in April, but it is expected to surface again.MORE IN This Just InThe Rutland County Sheriff’s Office agreed to transport Dennis Duby Jr. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.