• REDC through the years
    November 12,2012
    • Email Article
    •  
    •  Print Article
     
    The following is a timeline of REDC’s history:

    June 11, 1937 — First meeting of Rutland Development Corp. was held; Albert Cree elected president.

    1937 — Willow and Edson streets parking lot opened.

    1940 — Parking fee of 10 cents goes into effect.

    1951 — Purchased 55 acres on Seward Road; sold 28 acres to U.S. Samica; built Windcrest Road to service adjacent industrial park.

    1953 — Purchased 65 acres in Rutland Town for the Cold River Industrial Park.

    1954 — Cree resigns from Rutland Development Corp. to head Rutland Hospital building campaign; Robert Mitchell elected president. Mitchell appoints Bob Stafford (later U.S. senator) to head fundraising campaign; assisted Tambrands to purchase 25 acres on Park Street; recruited General Electric Co. from Ludlow to fill former Tambrands building on Columbian Avenue.

    1958 — Formed New Industries Inc., raising money for a spec building to attract new industry.

    1960 — Sold parcel of land on Seward Road to Moore Business Forms.

    1961 — Spec building sold to O.E. McIntyre Inc. (later, Metromail).

    1965 — Sold land to Mal Tools and Moore Business Forms.

    1975 — GE opens second plant on Windcrest Road.

    1976 — Expansion of Cold River Industrial Park; land sale to Lepco Plastics and Green Mountain Outfitters.

    1977 — Rutland Development Corp. and New Industries merge to form Rutland Industrial Development Corp.

    1978 — State charters 12 regional development corporations; Ned Pike and John Russell II lead $300,000 fundraising campaign for economic development; purchased Patch Wegner building; sold spec building to Coca Cola in Cold River Industrial Park.

    1979 — RIDC hires first full-time employee, Michael Bancroft.

    1980 — Plans for Airport Industrial Park unveiled.

    1981 — 7-Up bottling plant and Tuttle Law Print move to Cold River Industrial Park.

    1983 — RIDC acquires 118 acres from the state for Airport Industrial Park.

    1985 — Patch Wegner Building sold to Himolene.

    1986 — Airport Park infrastructure completed.

    1989 — Kalow Technologies becomes first Airport Industrial Park (AIP) tenant.

    1990 — Knight Cabinets moves to AIP.

    1991 — FedEx moves to AIP; REDC builds new home for H. Hirschmann Ltd.

    1993 — The Vermont Country Store moves to AIP; RIDC establishes first revolving loan fund.

    1994 — RIDC changes its name to Rutland Economic Development Corp.; Phase II of Airport Industrial Park begins.

    1995 — Tuttle Publishing builds warehouse in AIP; REDC guarantees loan for Brandon Industrial Park; Vermont Tubbs builds new facility in Brandon Industrial Park.

    2009 — Vermont Wood Pellet moves to AIP.

    2012 — Ellison Surface Technologies expands in Cold River Industrial Park.
    • Email Article
    •  
    •  Print Article
    2 Comments
    MORE IN National / World Business
    DALLAS — Cheaper oil is leading to the lowest summer gasoline prices in years, and it is causing... Full Story
    Cheaper oil sends Exxon, Chevron to worst quarter in years
    For 2016, Ford stocks its Edge SUV with more technology, including an adaptive steering feature... Full Story
    2016 Ford Edge lauded for reliability, powerful engines
    More Articles