HARDWICK — A suspect in a 2001 killing in Florida is being held without bail after his arrest in Vermont.
The Vermont State Police said Philip Barr was arrested Wednesday without incident in Hardwick by troopers and U.S. Marshals.
Barr is being held in Vermont on a fugitive from justice charge. He’s facing a first-degree murder charge in Charlotte County, Fla., for the killing of 19-year-old Tara Sidarovich of Punta Gorda. She disappeared on Oct. 1, 2001 Her body was found the next July.
Barr is one of two people charged with murder in the case. On Oct. 26, 39-year-old David Ray McMannis was arrested in Cumberland, Md., also on a first-degree murder charge. A third suspect is facing perjury charges.
No date has been set for Barr’s next court appearance.MORE IN Vermont NewsCOLCHESTER — The Lake Champlain Chamber Music Festival opened Sunday with one of the most... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 410 CE, Visigoths sack Rome and it isn't the first time, either; in 1859, Titusville, Pa., the first commercially viable oil well comes in; in 1918, the only World War I battle fought on U.S. soil in Nogales, Ariz.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool