Gerald P. BixbyNovember 16,2012Gerald P. Bixby
PORT ORANGE, Fla. — The funeral service for Gerald P. Bixby, age 77, of Port Orange, Florida, who died Tuesday, November 13, 2012, at Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach, Florida, will be at 4 p.m. Saturday, November 17, at Settle-Wilder’s New Smyrna Beach, Florida, chapel.
Calling hours will be from 2 p.m. until service time.
A private burial will be at a later date.
Born in Ludlow, Vermont, Mr. Bixby, a computer analyst, served as a medic in the United States Air Force during the Korean Conflict. He was a member of the American Legion in Ashland, the Wayland Country Club and the Leo J. Martin Golf League, all in Massachusetts.
In addition to golfing, Mr. Bixby loved animals, especially horses, hunting, and playing cards.
Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Joanne; a daughter, Sharon Bixby Traver (Roy) of Palm Coast, Florida; two brothers, Verne (Joanne) Bixby of Kyle, Texas, and Basil (Mary Kay) Bixby of New Smyrna Beach; a grandson, Raymond Bixby Polito, Jr. of Worcester, Massachusetts; nieces and nephews, Douglas Bixby, Derek Bixby and Dawn Bixby, all of New Smyrna Beach, Kimberly Ann (Charles) Merz of Edgewater, Forida, Daniel C. (Tracy) Bixby of Ormond Beach, Florida, Wendy Bixby of Kyle, Texas. and Brad Bixby of Hawaii; other important family members, Norma Bixby, Jane Bixby, Joan Garrow and Kathy Bixby, all of Vermont, and Deborah Weld of Wesley Chapel, Florida, Margaret Mooney of Greenfield, Massachusetts, David (Bonnie) Burton of East Bridgewater, Vermont, Richard (Sally) Burton of Pierson, Florida, and Theresa Burton and Kelly Burton, both of Springfield, Vermont.
Mr. Bixby was preceded in death by his mother, father, John Burton, and Russell Burton.
Memorial donations may be made in Mr. Bixby’s name to the American Heart Association, Greater Southeast Affiliate, P.O. Box 840692, Dallas, Texas 75284-0692.
Condolences may be made online at www.settlewilderfuneralhome.com.
Arrangements are being handled by Settle-Wilder Funeral Home and Cremation Service, 406 S. Orange Street, New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Fracking linked to 100-fold increase in Oklahoma earthquakes.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Roswell: Weather balloon, invasion from outer space or primitive spy op? You decide. Francis Gary Powers faces the music on this day and it's Russian pop hits, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross born this day and the Mahatma eschews violence.