'Taxing the cloud' up for debateNovember 18,2012MONTPELIER — Whether to levy Vermont's sales tax on so-called cloud computing will be up for discussion at the Vermont Statehouse.
Cloud computing happens most often when businesses, instead of buying software to run their processes, go on the Internet and pay to use software housed on computers located elsewhere.
Lawmakers this past spring passed a one-year moratorium and called for a study of whether the state should impose its sales tax on cloud computing services.
At a Statehouse session set for Monday afternoon, a special committee set to study the issue is to hear from state tax officials and analysts, as well as from a tax official from Washington state about that state's experience with levying the tax.MORE IN This Just InTODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bad crash in Rutland Town sends driver to hospital, natural gas pipeline get support from Addison County Planning Commission.