'Taxing the cloud' up for debateNovember 18,2012MONTPELIER — Whether to levy Vermont's sales tax on so-called cloud computing will be up for discussion at the Vermont Statehouse.
Cloud computing happens most often when businesses, instead of buying software to run their processes, go on the Internet and pay to use software housed on computers located elsewhere.
Lawmakers this past spring passed a one-year moratorium and called for a study of whether the state should impose its sales tax on cloud computing services.
At a Statehouse session set for Monday afternoon, a special committee set to study the issue is to hear from state tax officials and analysts, as well as from a tax official from Washington state about that state's experience with levying the tax.MORE IN This Just InStaff Report Full StoryBy Brent Curtis Full StoryBy Erin Mansfield Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.