Milk truck overturns on Route 2November 18,2012Milk truck overturns on Route 2
MARSHFIELD — No one was injured when the driver of a tractor trailer swerved to avoid hitting two cars stopped on Route 2, and tipped over near the Bickford farm on Route 2 on Saturday.
Shortly after the accident occurred around 1:30 p.m., both lanes of two-lane highway were closed. One lane was reopened shortly after 2 p.m.
The truck, driven by Bruce Martin of Williamstown, was carrying milk.
According to a news release, Martin was traveling east on Route 2 headed to Cabot when he swerved to avoid the vehicles stopped in the eastbound lane.
Martin went off the roadway causing the truck and trailer to roll over.
Damage was limited to the passenger side and roof of the truck’s cab. The trailer sustained damage to both sides.
Plainfield and Marshfield fire departments, Vermont State Police, the Vermont State Haz-mat Team and the state Department of Motor Vehicles all were dispatched to the scene.
Police say the roads were clear and dry at the time of the accident.
Shortly after 5 p.m., most of the rescue personnel had left the scene; however the truck, which was righted, was still visible from the roadway.
Police could not confirm whether any fluids, including milk, had spilled; however, a second truck was brought to the scene into which milk was being be pumped.MORE IN This Just InDearest farm, with your well-worked fields full of food, I love you. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.