Milk truck overturns on Route 2November 18,2012Milk truck overturns on Route 2
MARSHFIELD — No one was injured when the driver of a tractor trailer swerved to avoid hitting two cars stopped on Route 2, and tipped over near the Bickford farm on Route 2 on Saturday.
Shortly after the accident occurred around 1:30 p.m., both lanes of two-lane highway were closed. One lane was reopened shortly after 2 p.m.
The truck, driven by Bruce Martin of Williamstown, was carrying milk.
According to a news release, Martin was traveling east on Route 2 headed to Cabot when he swerved to avoid the vehicles stopped in the eastbound lane.
Martin went off the roadway causing the truck and trailer to roll over.
Damage was limited to the passenger side and roof of the truck’s cab. The trailer sustained damage to both sides.
Plainfield and Marshfield fire departments, Vermont State Police, the Vermont State Haz-mat Team and the state Department of Motor Vehicles all were dispatched to the scene.
Police say the roads were clear and dry at the time of the accident.
Shortly after 5 p.m., most of the rescue personnel had left the scene; however the truck, which was righted, was still visible from the roadway.
Police could not confirm whether any fluids, including milk, had spilled; however, a second truck was brought to the scene into which milk was being be pumped.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Jim Jeffords' legacy, Brandon takes a few questions about proposed budget, beleaguered city playground likely to move, woman awakes to find strange man with knives standing at her bedside.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Former U.S. Senator James Jeffords dies Monday in Washington D.C., a local man is beaten and robbed while walking on West Street, Clarendon sets a tax rate and Brandon convenes an informational public meeting about its budget.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1915, the New York World publishes scoop: Thom. Edison diverts chemical from war production to help German pharmaceutical company make aspirin; on this day in 1935, Will Rogers, Wiley Post die in Alaska plane crash.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State panel briefed on smuggling drugs into prisons; new French-German documentary about Vermont's heroin addiction; solar project at Vets Home falls apart; update dispute between Open Door Mission and treatment center.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Climatologists might not know as much about El Nino as they thought they knew. New studies show 10,000 years ago, El Nino was active, and polar ice sheets were rapidly melting — just like today.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State colleges get a budget cut break, vandals spray paint Wallingford basketball court, state's attorney will replace lost deputies, cop lawsuit proceeds, Mendon mini-golf proposal makes headway.