Milk truck overturns on Route 2November 18,2012Milk truck overturns on Route 2
MARSHFIELD — No one was injured when the driver of a tractor trailer swerved to avoid hitting two cars stopped on Route 2, and tipped over near the Bickford farm on Route 2 on Saturday.
Shortly after the accident occurred around 1:30 p.m., both lanes of two-lane highway were closed. One lane was reopened shortly after 2 p.m.
The truck, driven by Bruce Martin of Williamstown, was carrying milk.
According to a news release, Martin was traveling east on Route 2 headed to Cabot when he swerved to avoid the vehicles stopped in the eastbound lane.
Martin went off the roadway causing the truck and trailer to roll over.
Damage was limited to the passenger side and roof of the truck’s cab. The trailer sustained damage to both sides.
Plainfield and Marshfield fire departments, Vermont State Police, the Vermont State Haz-mat Team and the state Department of Motor Vehicles all were dispatched to the scene.
Police say the roads were clear and dry at the time of the accident.
Shortly after 5 p.m., most of the rescue personnel had left the scene; however the truck, which was righted, was still visible from the roadway.
Police could not confirm whether any fluids, including milk, had spilled; however, a second truck was brought to the scene into which milk was being be pumped.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.