Milk truck overturns on Route 2November 18,2012Milk truck overturns on Route 2
MARSHFIELD — No one was injured when the driver of a tractor trailer swerved to avoid hitting two cars stopped on Route 2, and tipped over near the Bickford farm on Route 2 on Saturday.
Shortly after the accident occurred around 1:30 p.m., both lanes of two-lane highway were closed. One lane was reopened shortly after 2 p.m.
The truck, driven by Bruce Martin of Williamstown, was carrying milk.
According to a news release, Martin was traveling east on Route 2 headed to Cabot when he swerved to avoid the vehicles stopped in the eastbound lane.
Martin went off the roadway causing the truck and trailer to roll over.
Damage was limited to the passenger side and roof of the truck’s cab. The trailer sustained damage to both sides.
Plainfield and Marshfield fire departments, Vermont State Police, the Vermont State Haz-mat Team and the state Department of Motor Vehicles all were dispatched to the scene.
Police say the roads were clear and dry at the time of the accident.
Shortly after 5 p.m., most of the rescue personnel had left the scene; however the truck, which was righted, was still visible from the roadway.
Police could not confirm whether any fluids, including milk, had spilled; however, a second truck was brought to the scene into which milk was being be pumped.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1871, After long summer drought comes simultaneous devastating upper Midwest wildfires; Chicago city center in ruins; in 1967, after brief firefight, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara captured alive in Bolivian jungle camp.