Milk truck overturns on Route 2November 18,2012Milk truck overturns on Route 2
MARSHFIELD — No one was injured when the driver of a tractor trailer swerved to avoid hitting two cars stopped on Route 2, and tipped over near the Bickford farm on Route 2 on Saturday.
Shortly after the accident occurred around 1:30 p.m., both lanes of two-lane highway were closed. One lane was reopened shortly after 2 p.m.
The truck, driven by Bruce Martin of Williamstown, was carrying milk.
According to a news release, Martin was traveling east on Route 2 headed to Cabot when he swerved to avoid the vehicles stopped in the eastbound lane.
Martin went off the roadway causing the truck and trailer to roll over.
Damage was limited to the passenger side and roof of the truck’s cab. The trailer sustained damage to both sides.
Plainfield and Marshfield fire departments, Vermont State Police, the Vermont State Haz-mat Team and the state Department of Motor Vehicles all were dispatched to the scene.
Police say the roads were clear and dry at the time of the accident.
Shortly after 5 p.m., most of the rescue personnel had left the scene; however the truck, which was righted, was still visible from the roadway.
Police could not confirm whether any fluids, including milk, had spilled; however, a second truck was brought to the scene into which milk was being be pumped.MORE IN This Just InWASHINGTON — Congress ran full-tilt into election-year gridlock over immigration Thursday and... Full StoryREADSBORO — A longtime feud between neighbors may have led to an incident last month during which... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.