State's unemployment up slightly in OctoberThe Associated Press | November 20,2012MONTPELIER — The Vermont Department of Labor says the state’s unemployment rate ticked up one-tenth of 1 percent in October to 5.5 percent.
The figure is up from 5.4 percent in September and 5.4 percent in October 2011. The national unemployment rate for October was 7.9 percent.
Despite the increase, Vermont still has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country.
The statistics show the total labor force in Vermont increased last month for the second straight month.
Seasonally adjusted data for October shows total employment increased by 700 last month while total unemployment increased by 200.
Unemployment in Vermont’s 17 labor market areas ranged from 3.3 percent in Hartford to 6.2 percent in Newport and Rutland.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.