State's unemployment up slightly in OctoberThe Associated Press | November 20,2012MONTPELIER — The Vermont Department of Labor says the state’s unemployment rate ticked up one-tenth of 1 percent in October to 5.5 percent.
The figure is up from 5.4 percent in September and 5.4 percent in October 2011. The national unemployment rate for October was 7.9 percent.
Despite the increase, Vermont still has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country.
The statistics show the total labor force in Vermont increased last month for the second straight month.
Seasonally adjusted data for October shows total employment increased by 700 last month while total unemployment increased by 200.
Unemployment in Vermont’s 17 labor market areas ranged from 3.3 percent in Hartford to 6.2 percent in Newport and Rutland.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.