Police: 6 facing charges in 2 warming hut firesThe Associated Press | November 20,2012BELVIDERE — A Vermont State Police detective says six people are facing charges stemming from fires that destroyed two warming huts in a Belvidere sugarbush.
On Oct. 27 fire fighters were called to a remote location within a 500-acre sugarbush owned by Joseph Russo where they found an 8-foot by 12-foot warming hut had been completely destroyed by fire before burning itself out.
On Nov. 16, investigators determined that a second warming hut had been burned down at the same time as the first incident, but it wasn’t discovered until the later date.
Both fires were determined to be arson. There were no injuries.
Six suspects were charged with second degree arson. One of those suspects was also charged with unlawful mischief.MORE IN This Just InIn the year since he was arraigned in the hit and run killing of a Mendon woman, former Rutland... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.